When you are thinking about self-defense tools, you are likely to consider obvious items like pepper spray, stun guns, batons, or firearms. But what about a tactical flashlight? The humble flashlight is one of the most underappreciated accessories on the market today and something you should consider carrying with you at all times.
Not every flashlight is created equally when it comes to self-defense. A tactical flashlight is different from a standard household flashlight. These types of flashlights were originally created for law enforcement and military use and have evolved to become one of the most popular options for everyday use.
Why Consider a Tactical Flashlight
Tactical flashlights can serve a dual purpose. They can be mounted on your firearm or carried independently. This versatility allows them to be taken separately into places like theatres, on airplanes, and into areas that have strict weapon laws. It can also be used as an improvised striking device or to break glass to facilitate an escape.
When mounted on a firearm, they ensure precision and better target acquisition during low light situations and free up your hands which allows for more control.
In either situation, a flashlight can help you identify threats and scare away would-be attackers that are relying on the cover of darkness to commit their crimes.
They are also important to have during nighttime outdoor activities and should be readily available for an emergency. In these instances, they can be used to help you safely navigate terrain without fear of injury. They can illuminate your way during power outages or if you are stuck outside at night or during bad weather. Additionally, they can be used as an emergency signal for help, or to safely warn motorists of your presence when visibility is poor, and much more. This versatile tool can be used for virtually every job that requires illumination.
Characteristics of Tactical Flashlights
While there are many different models on the market, most tactical flashlights have the same basic characteristics. A tactical flashlight is typically smaller and emits more light (1000 lumen output or more) than a standard flashlight. They are easy to use, which is important in high-stress self-defense and critical situations.
Because they were originally created for tactical use, they are made tough and often constructed out of military-grade anodized aluminum to ensure maximum durability. Most include a strike bezel for self-defense or emergency use and are usually water resistant, weatherproof, and impact resistant. Some also contain features such as infrared filters that allow them to be used with night vision equipment.
How to Choose a Tactical Flashlight
With so many options on the market it can be difficult to find the perfect tactical flashlight for you. When you are searching, it is important to consider these things:
- Brighter is better. You will want an ultra bright flashlight with variable lighting modes and beam distance that way you can control what you are illuminating.
- Easy to use. Your flashlight may be the first thing that you will need to grab in an emergency and it needs to be uncomplicated and simple to operate in stressful situations.
- Comfortable to hold and wield. It is important to make sure that the flashlight feels good in your hands. Proper size and grip is important to ensure you can confidently use your flashlight. When attached to a firearm, it is important that it is mounted correctly and allows for unobstructed sight.
- Durable, rugged, and long lasting. Your tactical flashlight should be a tool you can count on in any situation and in any weather condition. You will want to make sure that it is drop and water resistant and has a long battery life with rechargeable batteries, so you will not run out of light when you need it most.
- All the features that you personally need. Not every tactical flashlight is built equally, and many come with specialized features like variable beams or specialized filters. Determining how you are likely to use your flashlight will also help you decide which features are most important.
Tactical Flashlights at The Hub
Whether you need a flashlight to mount on your firearm, for self-defense, emergencies, outdoor activities, or any other time, the Hub can help you find the one that fits your needs.